Sunday 21 June 2009

Music Video's

My un-conventional music video is Afrika Shox

I chose Afrika Shox as my unconventional video because it stands out amongst the typical music video's you see with pop/rock/R&B bands etc. For example, Afrika Shox is quite a un-settling video with quite disturbing scenes, such as the mise-en-scene is quite un-nerving and makes the audience feel uncomfortable when watching it. For example, the way the camera tracks and pans until the audience are introduced with a mid-shot of a man who is obviously in pain, and almost looks as if he has been possessed. The way that the music video fallows his struggle as he wonder's round through a busy city stood out for me, as it's enticing the audience to feel guilty towards him; not a typical storyline you see with other conventional music video's. Therefore I chose Afrika Shox as it was a chilling music video directed and produced by Chris Cunningham, and didn't contain the same techniques and hooks that you usually see with other music video's.

My conventional music video is Fall Out Boy - This Ain't a Scene

I chose This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arm's Race by Fall Out Boy, because in terms of it's hooks and techniques it's extremely conventional and typical of a rock music video. For instance, the band playing in a recording studio is a typical mise-en-scene which I have seen many times before, and furthermore the way the film is shot is very conventional. For example, the camera is held quite steady throughout, with mainly a range of mid shots and close up shots of the band performing and the "shock and impressed reactions" of the other people watching them in the recording studio.

Furthermore, this music video raises certain questions. For example, as you watch it, you can't help but wonder if Fall Out Boy are almost mocking themselves and their own inadequate interpretation of being a rock band? Or if there irony is being pointed more at the rock/music.hip hop industry itself? For instance, at certain points in the video whilst the band is performing in a recording studio, the camera pans to a mid shot of certain hip hop artists, (we can tell they are rap/hip hop artists by there symbolic dress sense of heavy gold "chains" and bright baggy "gangster" clothes, connoting an idea that they believe themselves to be "cool"). Therefore, producing an image that Fall Out Boy are perhaps mocking there type of music? Although, are Fall Out Boy simply exploring cultural ideologies internalize the arms industry? This video makes it difficult to distinguish between weather or not they are in fact mocking the image they utilise, or if they are reinforcing the video as a domain of actual, good rock stars.
Therefore, I chose this video as my conventional video because it didn't hold anything unique about it, and raised a number of questions of who the irony of there video is actually pointed out.

The music video I like is Feeder - Feeling A Moment

I chose Feeder, Feeling A Moment as the music video I liked, because the way that it was shot attracted me to it. For example, I liked the way that the camera panned round the band, and quite fast paced in terms of editing, as to me that kept the music video interesting, and the range of close up shots used of the guitarist I thought was quite effective. I also quite liked the Mise en scene used of the band playing on the roof top, as I thought it was more effective than a Mise en scene of the band playing in a garage of music studio. (A setting which is often used in music video's, therefore this type of mise en scene soon becomes boring to an aduience.)

Throughout this music video, what furthermore draws me in the spectacular sweeping camera movement while the band is performing on the roof top, which perhaps, is a symbol of the band attempting to break America like so many previous bands have tried to do. The animation along in this video creates good over powering effects which enhances the songs power itself, hitting the audience with the creativity and smooth camera movements. The desaturated palette of this video is unusual, yet produces a more powerful and constructive image.
Overall, I personally like this music video, despite it being 4 minutes, 19 seconds long, which means it does drag on, yet I feel that the music video does the song itself justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment